|
96 Rue Principale |
Take Control of this Listing Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds. |
Quebec Tourism Region : Outaouais
English Version
Origin and meaning
Township located approximately 45 km southeast of Maniwaki and bordered to the east by Whitefish Lake. A hamlet, Rapide-du-Fort, occupies it to the east and another, Point Comfort, to the west. The name of this township was given in honor of the Irish physician William Hume Blake (1809-1870).
Arriving in Quebec in 1832, he immediately settled in Upper Canada where he began a new career with a law course that led to his admission to the bar in 1838. A prominent lawyer, his name is still associated with the reorganization of the entire judicial system of Upper Canada. Elected MP for York East in 1847, he was part of the LaFontaine-Baldwin cabinet (1848-1849) and was then appointed Chancellor of Upper Canada (1849-1862). He ended his career as a judge on the Court of Appeal (1864-1870). Proclamation: 1920.
Sources
Names and places of Quebec, work of the Commission de toponymie published in 1994 and 1996 in the form of a printed illustrated dictionary, and in that of a CD-ROM produced by the company Micro-Intel, in 1997, from this dictionary.
Version Française
Origine et signification
Canton situé à environ 45 km au sud-est de Maniwaki et limité à l'est par le lac du Poisson Blanc. Un hameau, Rapide-du-Fort, l'occupe à l'est et un autre, Point Comfort, à l'ouest. Le nom de ce canton fut attribué en l'honneur du médecin irlandais William Hume Blake (1809-1870).
Arrivé à Québec en 1832, il s'établit aussitôt dans le Haut-Canada où il commença une nouvelle carrière par un cours de droit qui le mena au barreau, en 1838. Avocat éminent, son nom reste attaché à la réorganisation de tout le système judiciaire du Haut-Canada. Élu député de York-Est en 1847, il fit partie du cabinet LaFontaine-Baldwin (1848-1849) puis fut désigné chancelier du Haut-Canada (1849-1862). Il termina sa carrière comme juge à la Cour d'appel (1864-1870). Proclamation : 1920.
Sources
Noms et lieux du Québec, ouvrage de la Commission de toponymie paru en 1994 et 1996 sous la forme d'un dictionnaire illustré imprimé, et sous celle d'un cédérom réalisé par la société Micro-Intel, en 1997, à partir de ce dictionnaire.
Address of this page: http://qc.ruralroutes.com/27923.html
Quick Search