|
1164 Trans-Canada Hwy |
Take Control of this Listing Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds. |
Quebec Tourism Region : Outaouais
English Version
Origin and meaning
Charbonnel Township is located between the Cabonga and Baskatong reservoirs, east of the road linking Mont-Laurier to Val-d'Or, where numerous small lakes punctuate the relief around a significant body of water, Lac de l'Écorce. Its name, adopted by the Commission de géographie in 1955, is that of Armand-François-Marie de Charbonnel (1802-1891), priest of Saint-Sulpice, professor of Holy Scripture in Paris, Bordeaux and Versailles and then at the Séminaire de Montréal where he taught the same subject from 1840 to 1847, except between 1841 and 1843 when he went to study English in Baltimore (Maryland). He became the second Bishop of Toronto, from 1850 to 1860. Retiring to the Capuchins, he then lived in Lyon and died in France, near Valence, in the department of Drôme. Proclamation: 1966.
Sources
Names and places of Quebec, work of the Commission de toponymie published in 1994 and 1996 in the form of a printed illustrated dictionary, and in that of a CD-ROM produced by the company Micro-Intel, in 1997, from this dictionary.
Version Française
Origine et signification
Le canton de Charbonnel se trouve entre les réservoirs Cabonga et Baskatong, à l'est de la route reliant Mont-Laurier à Val-d'Or, où de nombreux petits lacs ponctuent le relief autour d'une étendue d'eau d'importance, le lac de l'Écorce. Son nom, adopté par la Commission de géographie en 1955, est celui de Armand-François-Marie de Charbonnel (1802-1891), prêtre de Saint-Sulpice, professeur d'Écritures saintes à Paris, Bordeaux et Versailles puis au Séminaire de Montréal où il enseigna la même matière, de 1840 à 1847, sauf entre 1841 et 1843 alors qu'il alla étudier l'anglais à Baltimore (Maryland). Il devint le deuxième évêque de Toronto, de 1850 à 1860. Retiré chez les Capucins, il vécut ensuite à Lyon et mourut en France, près de Valence, dans le département de la Drôme. Proclamation : 1966.
Sources
Noms et lieux du Québec, ouvrage de la Commission de toponymie paru en 1994 et 1996 sous la forme d'un dictionnaire illustré imprimé, et sous celle d'un cédérom réalisé par la société Micro-Intel, en 1997, à partir de ce dictionnaire.
Address of this page: http://qc.ruralroutes.com/27958.html
Quick Search