|
100, chemin d'Old Chelsea |
Quebec Tourism Region : Outaouais
English Version
Origin and meaning
Sandwiched between Pontiac to the west and Gatineau to the east in Outaouais, Chelsea borders the territories of Aylmer and Hull, the Gatineau River constituting its eastern boundary which separates it from Cantley. It was around 1835 that the small parish community of Saint-Étienne-de-Chelsea was formed, whose canonical erection under the English name of Saint-Stephen, Old Chelsea occurred in 1859 and the civil erection, two years later as the parish of Saint-Stephen-de-Chelsea. The parish church was built between 1838 and 1840.
The name Chelsea, attributed to the small villages of Chelsea (around 1870) and Old Chelsea (1819), located within the municipal limits, has been in use since the beginning of the 19th century. These two settlement units successively served as the capital of the township of Hull. Identifying post offices in service before 1854 and from 1885 respectively, this name would recall a village in Vermont where Thomas Brigham, the first settler to settle there in 1819, partner and son-in-law of Philemon Wright and, from 1827, owner of mills, formerly numerous in these places, and his nephew Thomas Brigham Prentiss, pioneers of the place, came from. For their part, James White and Pierre-Georges Roy maintain, without supporting evidence, that it should be seen as a borrowing from English toponymy, a district of West London bearing this name. It remains possible that it was borrowed from English toponymy via that of the United States, Chelsea remaining a famous name, often used because it identifies a very famous porcelain.
Before receiving its current name in 1990, the municipality had been erected in 1875 under the name of Municipality of the western part of the canton of Hull or Hull-Partie-Ouest, commonly referred to as Hull-Ouest, in English West Hull. The original name, considered uncatching and a source of confusion with that of Hull, led to this modification, after a first unsuccessful attempt in 1980. See: Hull (city).
Sources
Names and places of Quebec, work of the Commission de toponymie published in 1994 and 1996 in the form of a printed illustrated dictionary, and in that of a CD-ROM produced by the company Micro-Intel, in 1997, from this dictionary.
Version Française
Origine et signification
Enserrée entre Pontiac à l'ouest et Gatineau à l'est en Outaouais, Chelsea avoisine les territoires d'Aylmer et de Hull, la rivière Gatineau constituant sa limite est qui la sépare de Cantley. C'est vers 1835 que se forme la petite communauté paroissiale de Saint-Étienne-de-Chelsea dont l'érection canonique sous la dénomination anglaise de Saint-Stephen, Old Chelsea survient en 1859, et l'érection civile deux ans plus tard, à titre de paroisse de Saint-Stephen-de-Chelsea. L'église paroissiale sera construite entre 1838 et 1840.
Le nom de Chelsea, attribué aux petits villages de Chelsea (vers 1870) et de Old Chelsea (1819), situés à l'intérieur des limites municipales, est en usage depuis le début du XIXe siècle. Ces deux unités de peuplement ont successivement servi de chef-lieu du canton de Hull. En identifiant des bureaux de poste respectivement en service avant 1854 et à compter de 1885, cette appellation rappellerait un village du Vermont d'où étaient originaires Thomas Brigham, premier colon à se fixer à cet endroit en 1819, associé et gendre de Philemon Wright, et, dès 1827, propriétaire de moulins, autrefois nombreux en ces lieux, ainsi que son neveu Thomas Brigham Prentiss, pionniers de l'endroit.
James White et Pierre-Georges Roy soutiennent, sans preuve à l'appui, qu'on devrait y voir un emprunt à la toponymie anglaise, un quartier de l'ouest de Londres portant cette dénomination. Il demeure également possible qu'on l'ait emprunté à la toponymie anglaise par l'intermédiaire de celle des États-Unis, Chelsea restant un nom célèbre, souvent repris parce qu'il identifie une porcelaine très réputée.
Avant de recevoir son nom actuel en 1990, la municipalité avait été érigée en 1875 sous l'appellation de Municipalité de la partie Ouest du canton de Hull ou Hull-Partie-Ouest, couramment désignée comme Hull-Ouest, en anglais West Hull. Le nom primitif, considéré comme peu accrocheur et source de confusion avec celui de Hull, a entraîné cette modification, après une première tentative infructueuse en 1980.
Voir : Hull (ville).
Sources
Noms et lieux du Québec, ouvrage de la Commission de toponymie paru en 1994 et 1996 sous la forme d'un dictionnaire illustré imprimé, et sous celle d'un cédérom réalisé par la société Micro-Intel, en 1997, à partir de ce dictionnaire.
Address of this page: http://qc.ruralroutes.com/27960.html
Quick Search
