|
6 Chem. Lachapelle |
Take Control of this Listing Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds. |
Quebec Tourism Region : Outaouais
English Version
Origin and meaning
Located about fifteen kilometers southwest of Maniwaki, this township is bathed by several small lakes. The largest of these, named Mer Bleue, Lacroix, and Michel, are drained by the narrow and winding Aigle River, a tributary of the Désert River. Formed by hills, its surface area varies approximately between 198 and 380 meters above sea level.
This township, which contains a few houses or cottages near the main lakes and along a road leading to Lac à Larche, was named after Levi Ruggles Church (1836-1892), a physician and lawyer, called to the Bar of Lower Canada in 1859. He entered the Legislative Assembly as a Conservative member for the riding of Ottawa in 1867, and served as Attorney General of the Province of Quebec (1874-1876) and Treasurer (1876-1878), before being appointed a judge of the Court of Queen's Bench in 1887. Proclamation: 1920.
Sources
Names and places of Quebec, work of the Commission de toponymie published in 1994 and 1996 in the form of a printed illustrated dictionary, and in that of a CD-ROM produced by the company Micro-Intel, in 1997, from this dictionary.
Version Française
Origine et signification
Situé à une quinzaine de kilomètres au sud-ouest de Maniwaki, ce canton est baigné par plusieurs petits lacs. Les plus grands d'entre eux nommés Mer Bleue, Lacroix et Michel sont drainés par l'étroite et sinueuse rivière de l'Aigle, affluent de la rivière Désert. Formée de collines, sa surface varie approximativement entre 198 et 380 m d'altitude.
On a attribué à ce canton, qui contient quelques maisons ou chalets près des principaux lacs et le long d'une route menant au lac à Larche, le nom de Levi Ruggles Church (1836-1892), médecin et avocat, admis au Barreau du Bas-Canada en 1859. Entré à l'Assemblée législative comme député conservateur de la circonscription d'Ottawa en 1867, il a occupé les fonctions de procureur général de la province de Québec (1874-1876) et de trésorier (1876-1878), avant d'être nommé juge à la Cour du banc de la reine en 1887. Proclamation : 1920.
Sources
Noms et lieux du Québec, ouvrage de la Commission de toponymie paru en 1994 et 1996 sous la forme d'un dictionnaire illustré imprimé, et sous celle d'un cédérom réalisé par la société Micro-Intel, en 1997, à partir de ce dictionnaire.
Address of this page: http://qc.ruralroutes.com/27965.html
Quick Search