|
134, rue Principale |
Quebec Tourism Region : Outaouais
English Version
Origin and meaning
This municipality, located at the mouth of the Coulonge River, which flows into the Ottawa River after crossing Mansfield Township, near Campbell's Bay in the Outaouais region, owes its existence and its name to the construction of a fort long ago. In 1784, the North West Company built a defensive structure there, which it named Fort Coulonge in memory of the explorer Nicolas d'Ailleboust de Manthet (1663-1709), who wintered in these parts in 1694.
He was given the title of "Sieur de Coulonge" by Pierre-Georges Roy, who based his name on the fact that his grandfather was named Nicolas d'Ailleboust de La Madeleine et de Coulonge. Later, in 1821, the fort passed into the hands of the Hudson's Bay Company. A sawmill was subsequently established there in 1843 by George Bryson Sr. (1813-1900), and it was around this time that the ancestors of the Coulongiens began to settle permanently in the place which would become a municipality in 1888, following its detachment from the municipality of Mansfield Township. A post office was opened in 1853.
The establishment of the parish of Saint-Pierre-de-Fort-Coulonge (1903) as a mission first, in 1845, contributed to the colonization of the place. In 1863, the Presbyterian parish of St. Andrews was founded. Today, Fort-Coulonge retains an agricultural vocation mixed with a good dose of vacationing.
See: Coulonge, Rivière.
Sources
Names and places of Quebec, work of the Commission de toponymie published in 1994 and 1996 in the form of a printed illustrated dictionary, and in that of a CD-ROM produced by the company Micro-Intel, in 1997, from this dictionary.
Version Française
Origine et signification
Cette municipalité, située à l'embouchure de la rivière Coulonge, qui se jette dans la rivière des Outaouais après avoir traversé le canton de Mansfield, près de Campbell's Bay en Outaouais, doit son existence et son nom à l'érection d'un fort, jadis. En effet, en 1784, la Compagnie du Nord-Ouest fait bâtir à cet endroit un ouvrage de défense auquel elle donne le nom de Fort Coulonge en souvenir de l'explorateur Nicolas d'Ailleboust de Manthet (1663-1709), qui a hiverné en ces parages en 1694.
Il a été gratifié du titre de « sieur de Coulonge » par Pierre-Georges Roy, qui s'est appuyé sur le fait que son grand-père s'appelait Nicolas d'Ailleboust de La Madeleine et de Coulonge. Plus tard, en 1821, le fort passe aux mains de la Compagnie de la Baie d'Hudson. Une scierie y est par la suite établie en 1843 par George Bryson père (1813-1900), et c'est vers cette époque que les ancêtres des Coulongiens commencent à s'installer à demeure à l'endroit qui deviendra une municipalité en 1888, par suite de son détachement de la municipalité du canton de Mansfield.
Un bureau de poste sera ouvert en 1853. L'implantation de la paroisse de Saint-Pierre-de-Fort-Coulonge (1903) comme mission d'abord, en 1845, a contribué à la colonisation de l'endroit. En 1863, la paroisse presbytérienne de St. Andrews était fondée. Aujourd'hui, Fort-Coulonge conserve une vocation agricole mâtinée d'une bonne dose de villégiature.
Voir : Coulonge, Rivière.
Sources
Noms et lieux du Québec, ouvrage de la Commission de toponymie paru en 1994 et 1996 sous la forme d'un dictionnaire illustré imprimé, et sous celle d'un cédérom réalisé par la société Micro-Intel, en 1997, à partir de ce dictionnaire.
Address of this page: http://qc.ruralroutes.com/28015.html
Quick Search
