|
1362 Highway 148 |
Quebec Tourism Region : Outaouais
English Version
Origin and meaning
The township – which appears as "Licthfield" on the Gale and Duberger map from 1795 – and the homonymous township municipality, officially created in 1834 and 1846 respectively, on the left bank of the Ottawa River, probably recall an English locality in Staffordshire, north of Birmingham. In this case, however, the name is spelled "Lichfield."
Another village, this one located in Hampshire, southwest of London, bears the more specific name "Litchfield." Established in 1845 following the division of the municipality of Clarendon, Litchfield was abolished the following year and saw its territory attached to the municipality of the county of Ottawa. It was finally reestablished in 1855.
Bounded to the north by Leslie-Clapham-and-Huddersfield and to the south by L'Île-du-Grand-Calumet, it is adjacent to Fort-Coulonge, 10 km north of Campbell's Bay. A post office bore the name "Litchfield" between 1842 and 1964. In 1873, part of the territory was detached to give birth to the municipality of the village of Bryson and, in 1904, to Campbell's Bay. In 2004, the municipality of the township of Litchfield became the municipality of Litchfield.
Version Française
Origine et signification
Le canton – qui figure sous la forme « Licthfield » sur la carte de Gale et Duberger dès 1795 – et la municipalité de canton homonyme, respectivement créés de manière officielle en 1834 et en 1846, sur la rive gauche de l'Outaouais, rappellent probablement une localité anglaise du Staffordshire, au nord de Birmingham. Dans ce cas, le nom est cependant orthographié « Lichfield ».
Un autre village, celui-là situé dans le Hampshire, au sud-ouest de Londres, porte plus spécifiquement le nom « Litchfield ». Établie en 1845 par suite de la division de la municipalité de Clarendon, Litchfield sera abolie l'année suivante et verra son territoire rattaché à la municipalité du comté d'Ottawa. Elle sera finalement rétablie en 1855.
Bornée au nord par Leslie-Clapham-et-Huddersfield et au sud par L'Île-du-Grand-Calumet, elle est voisine de Fort-Coulonge, à 10 km au nord de Campbell's Bay. Un bureau de poste a porté la dénomination « Litchfield » entre 1842 et 1964. En 1873, une partie du territoire était détachée pour donner naissance à la municipalité du village de Bryson et, en 1904, à Campbell's Bay. En 2004, la municipalité du canton de Litchfield est devenue la municipalité de Litchfield.
Address of this page: http://qc.ruralroutes.com/28123.html
Quick Search
