|
1164 Trans-Canada Hwy |
Quebec Tourism Region : Outaouais
English Version
Origin and meaning
This canton, named in 1955, is located a few kilometers south of the La Vérendrye Wildlife Reserve and 100 km northwest of Mont-Laurier, in the Pontiac MRC. Its territory is watered by the Corneille River and bathed by several bodies of water, including Lake Gale. As with the neighboring cantons (Champagne, Orléanais, Picardie, Limousin, and several others), the toponym recalls an ancient province of France. The Lyonnais, of which Lyon is the center, was for a long time a county acquired for the benefit of French royalty in 1307 by Philip the Fair. Forez and Beaujolais were added in 1531. The departments of Rhône and Loire emerged from it since the French Revolution. It is estimated that around sixty emigrants from the Lyonnais settled in New France. Proclamation: 1966.
Sources
Names and places of Quebec, work of the Commission de toponymie published in 1994 and 1996 in the form of a printed illustrated dictionary, and in that of a CD-ROM produced by the company Micro-Intel, in 1997, from this dictionary.
Version Française
Origine et signification
Ce canton, nommé en 1955, se situe à quelques kilomètres, au sud de la réserve faunique La Vérendrye et à 100 km au nord-ouest de Mont-Laurier, dans la MRC de Pontiac. Son territoire est arrosé par la rivière de la Corneille et baigné par plusieurs plans d'eau dont, notamment, le lac Gale. Comme pour les cantons voisins (Champagne, Orléanais, Picardie, Limousin et plusieurs autres), le toponyme rappelle une ancienne province de France. Le Lyonnais, dont Lyon est le centre, a longtemps constitué un comté acquis au profit de la royauté française, en 1307, par Philippe le Bel. S'y ajouteront, en 1531, le Forez et le Beaujolais. Les départements du Rhône et de la Loire en sont issus depuis la Révolution française. On estime à une soixantaine le nombre d'émigrants du Lyonnais qui s'établirent en Nouvelle-France. Proclamation : 1966.
Sources
Noms et lieux du Québec, ouvrage de la Commission de toponymie paru en 1994 et 1996 sous la forme d'un dictionnaire illustré imprimé, et sous celle d'un cédérom réalisé par la société Micro-Intel, en 1997, à partir de ce dictionnaire.
Address of this page: http://qc.ruralroutes.com/28131.html
Quick Search
