|
1164 Trans-Canada Hwy |
Quebec Tourism Region : Outaouais
English Version
Origin and meaning
This Pontiac township extends 30 km west of the Baskatong Reservoir. Its northern part is included in the La Vérendrye Wildlife Reserve.
The Orléanais is a former province of France that, on several occasions, formed a duchy, the appanage of the Orléans family; it was definitively reunited with the Royal Domain in 1626.
The Orléanais included Beauce, whose name was used in the toponymy of New France as early as the 18th century.
Île d'Orléans, for its part, was designated in 1536 by Jacques Cartier.
From 1608 to 1700, the Orléanais provided New France with 63 immigrants out of a total of 4,894.
Several names of former provinces and other places in France identify townships in Pontiac.
Note that Champagne, Bourbonnais, Limousin, Hainaut, Lorraine, Picardy, and Maine are neighbors of the canton of Orléanais.
Proclamation: 1966
Sources
Names and places of Quebec, work of the Commission de toponymie published in 1994 and 1996 in the form of a printed illustrated dictionary, and in that of a CD-ROM produced by the company Micro-Intel, in 1997, from this dictionary.
Version Française
Origine et signification
Ce canton du Pontiac s'étend à 30 km à l'ouest du réservoir Baskatong. Sa partie nord est comprise dans la réserve faunique La Vérendrye.
L'Orléanais est une ancienne province de France qui, à plusieurs reprises, forma un duché, apanage de la famille d'Orléans; elle fut définitivement réunie au Domaine royal en 1626.
L'Orléanais comprenait la Beauce dont le nom a été utilisé dès le XVIIIe siècle dans la toponymie de la Nouvelle-France.
L'île d'Orléans, quant à elle, fut désignée en 1536 par Jacques Cartier.
De 1608 à 1700, l'Orléanais a fourni à la Nouvelle-France 63 immigrants sur un total de 4 894.
Plusieurs noms d'anciennes provinces et autres lieux de France identifient des cantons du Pontiac.
Notons que Champagne, Bourbonnais, Limousin, Hainaut, Lorraine, Picardie et Maine sont voisins du canton d'Orléanais.
Proclamation : 1966
Sources
Noms et lieux du Québec, ouvrage de la Commission de toponymie paru en 1994 et 1996 sous la forme d'un dictionnaire illustré imprimé, et sous celle d'un cédérom réalisé par la société Micro-Intel, en 1997, à partir de ce dictionnaire.
Address of this page: http://qc.ruralroutes.com/28166.html
Quick Search
