Plaisance Municipality
Administrative Area

Phone : (819) 427-5363
E-Mail : Click Here to E-Mail us
Your Host(s) : Municipality

Plaisance, QC (Nearby: Parc national de Plaisance, Grande-Presqu'île, Burks Corners, Baie-Noire, Papineau MRC)

275, rue Principale
Plaisance, Québec
J0V 1S0


Quebec Tourism Region : Outaouais

English Version

English Version

Origin and meaning
Almost simultaneously, in 1900, the parish of Cœur-Très-Pur-de-la-Bienheureuse-Vierge-Marie-de-Plaisance and the homonymous parish municipality were created; this name was long considered one of the longest names in Quebec toponymy. In 1931, the municipal name, Plaisance, was reduced to much more modest proportions. Indeed, it is hard to imagine what other demonym the Plaisanciens could have been given!

It is generally believed that the beauty of the site of this Outaouais municipality, formerly attached to Papineauville, located 16 km west of Montebello, near the mouth of the Petite Nation River, on the banks of the Ottawa River, would have conditioned its name, taken from that of the post office opened in 1882. It appears that Lord Joseph Papineau had built, as early as 1803, a small house south of the current locality and had given it the name Plaisance in memory of a French town, a gesture which could have inspired the Quebec Plaisance.

Indeed, several communes in France, remarkable for the panorama which surrounds them, bear this name, including, among others, Plaisance-du-Gers (Gers) and Plaisance-du-Touch (Haute-Garonne). According to several authors, the French Plaisance are the result of an Italian influence or fashion. In Newfoundland, there is an old village named Plaisance, renamed Placentia by the English in 1713.

In earlier times, the territory constituted the rear fief occupying two-fifths of the seigneury of Petite-Nation granted to Joseph Papineau who transferred it to his son Louis-Joseph in 1817. The first inhabitants settled at North Nation Mills or Réserve du Moulin, near the Petite Nation River, at the beginning of the 19th century and formed the first industrial center of the seigneury of Petite-Nation. The presence of remarkable waterfalls nearby allowed rapid growth through the establishment of mills.

The arrival of the railway linking Montreal and Hull in 1877 and the establishment of the North Nation Mills station allowed the agglomeration to develop rapidly. In 1920, Gatineau Power, planning to exploit the hydroelectric potential of the falls, demolished or relocated the buildings. Today, only a hamlet remains. Plaisance's economic activity is divided between agriculture and work in the surrounding factories.

The importance of the annual presence of Canada geese is noted, highlighted by a Canada geese Festival celebrated since 1985 and embodied by the creation of a 26 km² wildlife reserve, the Plaisance Wildlife Reserve, dedicated to their protection. In the fall, these birds sporadically gather here on their way to and from their northern nesting grounds.

Sources

Names and places of Quebec, work of the Commission de toponymie published in 1994 and 1996 in the form of a printed illustrated dictionary, and in that of a CD-ROM produced by the company Micro-Intel, in 1997, from this dictionary.

Version Française

Version Française

Origine et signification

Presque simultanément, en 1900, étaient créées la paroisse de Cœur-Très-Pur-de-la-Bienheureuse-Vierge-Marie-de-Plaisance et la municipalité de paroisse homonyme; ce nom a été considéré pendant longtemps comme l'un des noms les plus longs de la toponymie québécoise. En 1931, on devait ramener à des proportions beaucoup plus modestes le nom municipal, soit Plaisance. En effet, on imagine mal de quel gentilé les Plaisanciens auraient pu être autrement affublés!

On estime généralement que la beauté du site de cette municipalité outaouaise, jadis rattachée à Papineauville, implantée à 16 km à l'ouest de Montebello, près de l'embouchure de la rivière de la Petite Nation, sur les bords de la rivière des Outaouais, aurait conditionné sa dénomination, tirée de celle du bureau de poste ouvert en 1882. Il appert que le seigneur Joseph Papineau avait fait construire, dès 1803, une maisonnette au sud de la localité actuelle et lui avait attribué le nom de Plaisance en souvenir d'une ville française, geste qui a pu inspirer le Plaisance québécois.

En effet, quelques communes de France, remarquables par le panorama qui les entoure, portent ce nom, dont, entre autres, Plaisance-du-Gers (Gers) et Plaisance-du-Touch (Haute-Garonne). Suivant plusieurs auteurs, les Plaisance français sont issus d'une influence ou d'une mode italienne. À Terre-Neuve, on peut relever un ancien village du nom de Plaisance, rebaptisé Placentia par les Anglais en 1713.

En des temps plus anciens, le territoire constituait l'arrière-fief occupant les deux cinquièmes de la seigneurie de la Petite-Nation concédée à Joseph Papineau qui la cède à son fils Louis-Joseph en 1817. Les premiers habitants s'établissent à North Nation Mills ou Réserve du Moulin, près de la rivière de la Petite Nation, au début du XIXe siècle, et forment le premier pôle industriel de la seigneurie de la Petite-Nation. La présence de chutes remarquables à proximité a permis une croissance rapide par l'implantation de moulins.

L'arrivée du chemin de fer reliant Montréal et Hull en 1877 et l'établissement de la gare de North Nation Mills permettent à l'agglomération de se développer rapidement. En 1920, la Gatineau Power, projetant l'exploitation du potentiel hydroélectrique des chutes, procède à la démolition ou au déménagement des bâtiments. N'y subsiste aujourd'hui qu'un hameau.

L'activité économique de Plaisance est partagée entre l'agriculture et le travail dans les usines environnantes. On note l'importance de la présence annuelle des outardes, soulignée par un Festival des outardes célébré depuis 1985 et concrétisée par la création d'une réserve faunique de 26 km², la réserve faunique de Plaisance, vouée à leur protection. À l'automne, sporadiquement, à l'aller vers leurs aires nordiques de nidification et au retour, ces oiseaux se rassemblent à cet endroit.

Sources

Noms et lieux du Québec, ouvrage de la Commission de toponymie paru en 1994 et 1996 sous la forme d'un dictionnaire illustré imprimé, et sous celle d'un cédérom réalisé par la société Micro-Intel, en 1997, à partir de ce dictionnaire.

Address of this page: http://qc.ruralroutes.com/28187.html

Have something to say about Plaisance Municipality?

Tell us, and we'll tell the world!

Your name:
Your email address:
Your phone number:
(optional)   
Your Review:
Visitors to this page: 304     Emails sent through this page: 1     This record last updated: January 12, 2026
Nearby:
Nearby Lakes and Mountains:
  • Lac Georges, 11km
  • Lac Deschenes, 23km
  • Black Lake, 41km
  • Mud Lake, 45km
  • Loch Garry, 50km
  • Mill Pond, 50km
  • Middle Lake, 51km
  • Sand Pits Lake, 46km
  • McKay Lake, 47km
  • Brewer Park Pond, 51km
  • Lac Dollard-des-Ormeaux, 48km
  • Dows Lake, 51km
  • Lake St. Lawrence, 71km
  • Mud Lake, 59km
  • Lake St. Francis, 75km
  • Mud Pond, 68km
  • Constance Lake, 71km
  • Casey Lake, 74km
  • Lissons Lake, 94km
  • North Mud Lake, 94km
  • Cranberry Lake, 105km
  • South Mud Lake, 101km
  • Atkins Lake, 111km
  • Buells Creek Reservoir, 119km
  • Lambs Pond, 119km
  • Mud Lake, 120km
  • Mississippi Lake, 103km
  • Bacchus Mud Lake, 111km
  • Irish Lake, 116km
  • Bowley Lake, 101km
  • Lees Pond, 126km
  • Centre Lake, 126km
  • Lower Rideau Lake, 114km
  • Dunbar Lake, 120km
  • Lake Eloida, 124km
  • Mud Lake, 125km
  • Temperance Lake, 128km
  • Bellamys Lake, 122km
  • Quig Lake, 106km
  • Graham Lake, 130km
  • Haley Lake, 110km
  • Lake Madawaska, 102km
  • Bass Lake, 119km
  • Otter Lake, 121km
  • Clayton Lake, 107km
  • Little Ramsbottoms Lake, 110km
  • Taylor Lake, 109km
  • Wiltse Lake, 130km
  • Lac des Chats, 103km
  • Marshall Lake, 108km