|
28 rue Principale |
Quebec Tourism Region : Outaouais
English Version
Origin and meaning
This Outaouais municipality was established between Mayo and Saint-André-Avellin, about ten kilometers south of Ripon. Concentrated in the eastern part of the territory, a series of lakes bathe this expanse: Robert, Long, à la Perchaude, Farrand, etc., not to mention the Saint-Sixte River, on the banks of which the municipality was established. The parish of Saint-Sixte was founded as a mission in 1855, before being civilly established in 1893 and canonically in 1895. The municipality, first created as a municipality of the township of Lochaber-Partie-Nord, did not take its current name and status until 1979. This name, which identifies the post office in operation between 1887 and 1969, as well as a lake and a stream near the original mission, is said to be of Amerindian origin and has undergone many spelling variations: San-Sic, Sans-Sik, Sincique, Sinsic, Sincic.
In a report by surveyor John Johnston dated 1866, the form Sinsic is noted to identify a stream located a short distance from Saint-Sixte. The sanctification of the name, favored by the auditory proximity of the name (sin) of the element Saint and of sic(k) with regard to Sixtus, would participate in this phenomenon widely spread in municipal and parish toponymy in the 19th century. The Church commemorates Saint Sixtus, pope of Athenian origin in 257-258 under the name of Sixtus II, whose feast day is celebrated on August 5.
The primitive municipal name Saint-Sixtoise recalls the geographical location of this area in the northern part of the canton of Lochaber, proclaimed in 1807, and which evokes a village of this name in the district of Inverness in Scotland.
Sources
Names and places of Quebec, work of the Commission de toponymie published in 1994 and 1996 in the form of a printed illustrated dictionary, and in that of a CD-ROM produced by the company Micro-Intel, in 1997, from this dictionary.
Version Française
Origine et signification
Cette municipalité de l'Outaouais a été implantée entre Mayo et Saint-André-Avellin, à une dizaine de kilomètres au sud de Ripon. Concentrés dans la partie est du territoire, une série de lacs baignent cette étendue : Robert, Long, à la Perchaude, Farrand, etc., sans compter la rivière Saint-Sixte, sur le bord de laquelle la municipalité a été établie. La paroisse de Saint-Sixte a vu le jour comme mission en 1855, avant d'être érigée civilement en 1893 et canoniquement en 1895.
La municipalité, d'abord créée comme municipalité du canton de Lochaber-Partie-Nord, ne prendra son appellation et son statut actuels qu'en 1979. Celle-ci, qui identifie le bureau de poste en activité entre 1887 et 1969, de même qu'un lac et un cours d'eau voisins de la mission originelle, serait d'origine amérindienne et a subi maintes variations orthographiques : San-Sic, Sans-Sik, Sincique, Sinsic, Sincic.
Dans un rapport de l'arpenteur John Johnston daté de 1866, on relève la forme Sinsic pour identifier un cours d'eau situé à peu de distance de Saint-Sixte. La sanctification de la dénomination, favorisée par la proximité auditive du nom (sin) de l'élément Saint et de sic(k) en regard de Sixte, participerait de ce phénomène largement répandu dans la toponymie municipale et paroissiale au XIXe siècle.
L'Église fait mémoire de saint Sixte, pape d'origine athénienne en 257-258 sous le nom de Sixte II, dont la fête est célébrée le 5 août. L'appellation municipale primitive saint-sixtoise rappelle la localisation géographique de cette étendue dans la partie nord du canton de Lochaber, proclamé en 1807, et qui évoque un village de ce nom du district d'Inverness en Écosse.
Sources
Noms et lieux du Québec, ouvrage de la Commission de toponymie paru en 1994 et 1996 sous la forme d'un dictionnaire illustré imprimé, et sous celle d'un cédérom réalisé par la société Micro-Intel, en 1997, à partir de ce dictionnaire.
Address of this page: http://qc.ruralroutes.com/28240.html
Quick Search

