|
1164 Trans-Canada Hwy |
Quebec Tourism Region : Outaouais
English Version
Origin and meaning
Located in the La Vérendrye Wildlife Reserve and crossed by the road leading from Mont-Laurier to Val-d'Or, this township is watered by the southern branches of the Cabonga reservoir. Only the hamlet of Domaine occupies this territory, whose relief varies between 365 and 490 m in altitude.
This name recalls Arsène Turquetil (1876-1955), an Oblate father born in Calvados, missionary at Caribou Lake (Saskatchewan) where he resided for twelve years. Founder in 1912 of the Chesterfield Inlet mission (Keewatin district), he was appointed Apostolic Prefect of Hudson's Bay (1925), then Apostolic Vicar and finally consecrated bishop in 1932 in Montreal.
Monsignor Turquetil lived in Chesterfield Inlet from 1912 to 1930, in Churchill, Manitoba, from 1930 to 1942, and in Washington, D.C., from 1943 to 1955, where he died. Author of Inuktitut textbooks, he received the Legion of Honour from France in 1936. Proclamation: 1966.
Sources
Names and places of Quebec, work of the Commission de toponymie published in 1994 and 1996 in the form of a printed illustrated dictionary, and in that of a CD-ROM produced by the company Micro-Intel, in 1997, from this dictionary.
Version Française
Origine et signification
Situé dans la réserve faunique La Vérendrye et traversé par la route menant de Mont-Laurier à Val-d'Or, ce canton est arrosé par les ramifications méridionales du réservoir Cabonga. Seul le hameau du Domaine occupe ce territoire dont le relief varie entre 365 et 490 m d'altitude.
Ce nom rappelle Arsène Turquetil (1876-1955), père oblat né dans le Calvados, missionnaire au lac Caribou (Saskatchewan) où il résida pendant douze ans. Fondateur en 1912 de la mission de Chesterfield Inlet (district du Keewatin), il a été nommé préfet apostolique de la Baie-d'Hudson (1925), puis vicaire apostolique et enfin sacré évêque en 1932 à Montréal.
Monseigneur Turquetil est demeuré à Chesterfield Inlet, de 1912 à 1930, à Churchill (Manitoba), de 1930 à 1942, et à Washington, de 1943 à 1955, où il est décédé. Auteur de manuels en inuktitut, il a reçu la Légion d'honneur de la France en 1936. Proclamation : 1966.
Sources
Noms et lieux du Québec, ouvrage de la Commission de toponymie paru en 1994 et 1996 sous la forme d'un dictionnaire illustré imprimé, et sous celle d'un cédérom réalisé par la société Micro-Intel, en 1997, à partir de ce dictionnaire.
Address of this page: http://qc.ruralroutes.com/28274.html
Quick Search
